Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Learn more.
In this article, I review 15 of the very best wireless water shut off valves and sensors that you can buy today.
I’ll also give you my top three recommendations based on more than 30 hours of research.
Finally, I’ll provide a comprehensive buying guide [updated for 2020].
My goal is to help you get the best wireless water shut off valve for your needs and budget.
Wifi Water Shut Off Valves Can Save You ThousandsDid you know that more American’s suffer water damage than fire and theft combined?
Dealing with a burst or leaky pipes in your home can be frustrating, and it’s always surprising how quickly water damage can occur. Because of this, it’s a good idea to install one or more wifi water shut off valves to ensure that your water shuts off automatically in an emergency.
I recently learned this first hand, when my apartment was flooded. You can read about my sad misfortune if you are interested in this post: leakSMART vs Dome Home: 2 Best Wireless Water Shut Off Valves.
If only we had purchased one of these wireless shut off valves prior to this happening! [She has a leakSMART valve now.]
It”s strangely comforting to know that I’m not alone in this misfortune [read on until the end for a comprehensive infographic of water damage facts.] Definitely a bit of shock to learn how many people this effects every year.
Top 3 Recommended Wireless Water Shut Off Valves
Here are my top three recommendations for best wireless water shut off valves side by side. All three have excellent recommendations on Amazon and they are recommended by other experts as well. I’ll follow this table by mini-reviews of all 15 of my picks.
15 Great Wireless Water Shut Off Valves
No. 1 – Water Leak Detection Starter Kit by leakSMART
The powerful Water Leak Detection Starter Kit by leakSMART is a smart wifi water valve that allows homeowners to easily monitor their homes. Because it can handle up to 32 sensors, you can easily monitor all areas in your home and protect your house from water damage no matter how many valves you want to monitor. Additionally, the sensor will sound an alarm, alert the app, and shut off the valve at the first sign of a leak to prevent any damage.
In this video, Gary Tweed shows you how you can use the LeakSmart system with a Wink hub and app.
Thanks to Gary for the helpful video and demonstration.
- Offers consistent 24/7 monitoring of water valves
- Connects easily via WiFi
- Offers a great all-in-one approach
- Ships with just one leak sensor, but you can buy additional sensors on Amazon
💦Learn more about leakSMART over here at Amazon.💦
No. 2 – Dome Home Automation Water Shut-Off Valve
Give your dome some peace of mind with the Dome Home Automation Water Shut-Off Valve. This add-on can be easily attached to your existing valve and makes it easy to manually close the valve or have it be triggered to shut automatically. It is less expensive than other options because it is an add-on but is a great water valve WiFi option for any home.
Thanks to Chris Edwards for the helpful unboxing and installation review of the Dome Home.
Check out the video above and if you want to learn more, you can 💦see the latest customer reviews at Amazon💦.
- Great customer support
- Auto shut off and remote monitoring
- Easy installation
- Can be difficult to pair with the hub
- Doesn’t always fully close the water valve completely on the first try
No. 3 – Guardian Leak Prevention System
While calibrating this valve can be a bit difficult, it is a great WiFi water valve once you have set it up correctly. It offers great value for the money, is easy to install, and is incredibly sensitive. Additionally, if you do have any problems, customers rave that their friendly customer service professionals can offer you the support that you need.
💦 You can pick up this affordable kit over at Amazon💦.
- Offers multiple leak detectors
- Features a 15-year battery for longevity
- Works with copper, PEX, or PVC pipes from 1/2″ to 1
- Auto shuts off the water main if it senses leaks, freezing temperatures, or earthquakes
- Installs easily without any tools
- It can be difficult to connect or configure the app.
- Leak detection is very sensitive so it shouldn’t be installed in locations with any excess water.
No. 4 – Flo by Moen
Coming in at number 4 on my list of best wireless water shut off valves is Flo by Moen. This is a relatively new entry to the market but has received solid reviews from homeowners across the board. It is also a top valve that is recommended by the Plumbers Association. It provides protection for pipes in a wide variety of sizes. These include:
- 0.75″ to 1.25″ pipe diameter (Moen # 900-001)
- 1.25″ to 1.5″ pipe diameter (Moen # 900-002)
- 1″ to 1.25″ pipe diameter (Moen # 900-006)
- 25′ DC Extension Cable (Moen # 920-003)
This will ensure laundry rooms, toilets, showers, faucets, and even the pipes in your foundation and behind walls are effectively monitored. The company recommends consulting with a professional to ensure the correct application for your home.
Everything needed to monitor and control your water system is done from the mobile app. The app allows for remote and automatic water shut off, provides proactive maintenance alerts, learns water use and identifies leaks anywhere in the home, and runs daily tests to maintain a leak-free house. Flo by Moen is installed in-line before it branches off to your home’s various water sources and has three sensors that actively monitor water flow, pressure, and temperature. These sensors, in combination with the device’s algorithms, are what enable Flo by Moen to detect and protect the home from problems like leaks, burst pipes, etc.
- Flo by Moen is compatible with Alexa, Google Assistant, and IFTTT.
- No smart hub system is required.
- 24/7 Leak Protection
- Flo by Moen app sends alerts to your phone in real-time if a leak is detected anywhere throughout your home.
- App lets you see and set water consumption goals, monitor daily water usage
- Microleak technology proactively monitors the integrity of your home’s entire water system to identify even the smallest vulnerabilities.
- App can be used to turn water off and on remotely using the app.
- FloProtect Plan Option Give your home an extra layer of protection by adding FloProtect to your Flo by Moen device. From proactive monitoring to enhanced data analytics and more, FloProtect ensures you never miss a drip. Add FloProtect through your Flo by Moen app.
- More expensive than other options here
- A few customers complained that features are limited with the monthly Flo by Moen service
No. 5 – StreamLabs Smart Home Water Monitor
Not only does this unit monitor how much water you use in your home but it also does a great job detecting burst pipes and small leaks. You will have to buy a valve to use with this product as it is only a sensor but it is one of the most sensible options on the market today.
Thanks to Perfectly Inspired for the entertaining unboxing and review video:
- Installation is very easy and it comes with an app to walk you through the setup.
- The high-quality product is designed to last for years without being damaged.
- Detects leaks and water usage
- No pipe cutting, 5-minute installation
- Real-time alerts
- The price is great.
- It requires a connection to the Internet in order to work properly.
- It doesn’t feature an auto shut off.
- Because the printed logs only go back a month, it can be difficult to track usage and problems.
No. 6 – MyGuard Automatic Laundry Water Leak Detector
Homeowners who are worried about leaks from their laundry rooms will appreciate the peace of mind that they can enjoy from this water detector. Not only will it automatically shut off when there is a leak but because it is not a whole-house unit, this is a really cost-effective option. It can be installed quickly and won’t prevent users from being able to operate their washing machines.
- It features manual water shut off.
- It is a very cost-effective option for use in a laundry room.
- Designed specifically to detect washing machine leaks.
- Shut-off system for washing machine outlets
- Water leak detection
- Sometimes will trigger a false alarm
- Tends to stick out from the wall
- Only covers the washing machine
No. 7 – Wally Wireless Automatic Water shut off Valve
This is a great wireless option that features remote control via a powerful app and easily can be used indoors and outdoors. Because it covers the whole house, users don’t have to worry about leaks at any location in their homes as they will be quickly alerted when there is a problem.
- The intuitive app makes this a great and powerful WiFi water valve.
- It is very easy to monitor usage and to control the valve.
- It can be set to control multiple leak detectors in the house.
- Installation is difficult and may require a professional.
- It tends to be much more expensive than other options.
- It can’t be integrated with a home’s smart hub.
No. 8 – Leak Intel Z-Wave Water Control Valve
This is one of the best wireless water valve options on the market today. It does have a few drawbacks but it responds quickly to even minute amounts of water leakage, which means that you can stop a problem quickly. Additionally, you can monitor and even turn off your water manually if desired. The auto-shutoff is surprisingly fast but installation can be much harder than with other options.
- Made from stainless steel for improved longevity
- Pairs quickly with smart hubs
- Offers great remote control
- 10-Year Manufacturer Warranty
- Installation tends to be tricky.
- It can be harder to seal the threads on this unit.
No. 9 – FortrezZ Wireless Z-Wave Water Valve
If you have a little extra to spend, then this is a good option. While the moisture detection feature is a great option, the fact that it doesn’t show up on the app is a problem. This means that users have to be willing to check the unit from time to time to see if there are any excess moisture issues as they won’t have that information available to them on their phones.
- The remote control is high-quality.
- Installation is fast.
- It tends to be expensive.
- The moisture detection feature doesn’t always work reliably.
No. 10 – Grohe Sense Guard Smart Water Controller
This is a great water valve WiFi option that is loaded with great features. The smartphone app is intuitive and easy to use, which makes it possible to quickly monitor your water. Thanks to the alert system, users are immediately notified when there is a problem with their water. It is just as responsive to a small leak as to a burst pipe.
- The highly responsive system alerts for even small leaks.
- It is able to detect unusual water flow and frost damage.
- It quickly responds to bursts and to leaks.
- Pipe fittings can be difficult to tighten.
- It doesn’t have a battery backup.
No. 11 – WaterCop Z-Wave Wireless Water Shut-Off Valve
Despite a powerful app is easy to navigate, it can be difficult to tell the real status of this valve. Confusing app notifications can lead to homeowners becoming frustrated. For example, when the app says that the switch is on, it actually means that the valve is off. This can lead to issues with the valve not being used correctly. However, once this is understood, the valve is surprisingly easy to use and powerful.
- Quickly integrates to the wireless smart hub
- Setup is fast and easy
- Offers a powerful, user-friendly app
- Can fail when users try to open and close the valve too quickly.
No. 12 – LinkTap Wireless Water Timer & Gateway
While this is a slightly different take on some of the other products in our review, we thought we would include for anyone who might be looking for a control valve that can be used outside.
This is a great timer and gateway that you can use to automate the watering of your plants and vegetables in your garden.
This is a great option for any homeowner who wants to be able to not only monitor his or her outdoor faucet for leaks but also make sure that his or her plants get the water that they need. It makes it easy to choose from six work modes so that you can control the water schedule and amount of water used. Additionally, the ECO functions ensure that you save water.
- Makes it easy to control the water at an outside spigot.
- Connects to an app to set up a watering schedule.
- Will automatically skip watering when it rains
- Can control up to eight water times with just one hub.
- Up to two years of battery life.
- Its primary benefit is that it lets you set a watering schedule; it is not great for monitoring for leaks.
No. 13 – Orbit B-hyve Smart Hose Faucet Timer
This powerful faucet timer is WiFi capable, which means that you can easily control when your plants are watered even if you aren’t at home. The hub connects to multiple timers, which makes it easy to manage a larger space without problems. However, this is not a great option for keeping an eye on leaks at your home as it won’t automatically turn off the faucet if there is a problem.
- The powerful app works on both iOS and Android devices.
- It is great for setting the timer to water your garden.
- It is compatible with Alexa.
- It can sometimes skip scheduled waterings.
- The app setup can be a bit difficult.
No. 14 – leakSmart Wireless Water Shut Off Valve
Last on our list of w-fi water shut off valves is the leakSmart 888000. Thanks to the battery backup on this unit, users don’t have to worry about leaks during power outages. It will automatically shut off the valve if there is a leak, which is important to reduce damage and to prevent water from being allowed to run freely. The LED lights make it easy to check the status of the valve.
- It detects leaks in less than five minutes.
- It easily connects with smart home platforms.
- Quick notifications ensure that homeowners are aware of leaks right away.
- Installation is difficult and professional installation is preferable.
- It doesn’t come with the necessary hub for the unit to work.
No. 15 – EcoNet Controls Smart Home Valve Kit
If you are looking for another great turn-key option that customers rave about, check out this Smart Home Valve Kit “Bulldog Valve Robot bundle by Econet Controls. This is a complete kit that even includes a Samsung SmartThings Hub, which you can also use to control other SmartThings devices.
Note: EcoNet also has a version of the product that doesn’t ship with the Samsung hub and you can optionally use other hubs like Wink, Nexia, Control4, Universal Devices, and Honeywell.
What I really like about this bundle is that not only does it include the Hub but you also get the valve and not one, not two, but three leak sensors. This may well be enough to cover the key trouble spots for many homeowners. Also, in reading some customer reviews, there were multiple comments saying that the customer service is great and they were super helpful in assisting with installation.
- Full kit, ships with Hub, valve, and three sensors
- Supports multiple valve sizes – 1/2″, 3/4″,1“, 1.25” & 1.5″
- Customers say support for the product is excellent
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Home
- Preconfigured & Tested with Samsung SmartThings Hub (if you buy the version with the Hub)
- If you don’t buy the version with the Hub, some manual configuration is required
Which Wireless Water Shut Off Valve Is Best?
The best wireless water shut off valve to protect your home from leaks is the leakSMART Water Leak Detection Kit, in my opinion (based on a TON of research).
It is one of the more mature products on the market, and lots of customers report great success with this product.
It connects easily to your phone via the leakSMART app, it includes the valve, plus a leak sensor, and smart hub, plus it is easy to install, which means that you won’t have to pay a plumber.
The company also has good support and will help you with the DIY installation.
💦Check out Amazon’s dedicated LeakSmart page for a variety of options for virtually any budget💦
Wireless Water Shut Off Valve Guide
In this section, I’ll provide a mini Buying Guide as to what you should look for in wireless water shut off valves, including installation advice and key features you want to be on the lookout for. I’ll also cover what makes a smart wireless water shut off valve smart.
What Can WiFi Water Shut Off Valves Do?
Smart wireless water shut off valves or wifi water shut off valves let a homeowner turn the main water off remotely via smartphone. They can also be used to automatically turn off the water source [before damage occurs] when paired with a smart water sensor.
They are designed to automatically turn off the water when a leak is detected to prevent additional water damage to your home. Many will work as a retrofit solution for copper, PVC, or Pex water pipes. Some are designed for indoor use and others for outdoor use. Some are designed for spot applications [e.g., laundry room or under a sink] and others are designed for whole-house monitoring. (All of my top recommendations can be used to cover your entire home.)
The prices range from relatively inexpensive $$$ to very expensive $$$$$ depending on the size of your home and your needs.
How Do I Install a Smart Wireless Water shut off Valves?
Nearly all of the wireless water shut off valves we cover in this review are DIY solutions; that is, you should be able to install them on your own.
However, some basic plumbing knowledge is helpful. And if you aren’t handy at all [like me], I would recommend enlisting the help of a friend who is handy and/ or anyone with experience with some plumbing basics.
In many cases, detailed step-by-step installation guides are provided, and there are also many installation videos available on YouTube. We will include a few of them below.
For whole-house coverage, the general procedure is:
- Install the smart wifi water value controller onto your water main.
- Please leak sensors (also called leak detectors) around your home to monitor for floods, earthquakes, and freezing pipes.
- Test thoroughly to ensure that the water main shuts off fully and properly in the event of an emergency.
Note that the number of sensors you need to install should equal the number of trouble spots you anticipate in your home. For example, you might a sensor some under a sink, on, under or around basement pipes, etc. The more sensors you deploy the better your coverage overall. Some of the products reviewed here include the sensors, but you may need to buy more.
What Makes A Wifi Water Shut Off Valve Smart?
As I said earlier, the brains behind the operations of smart valves and sensors are that they give you the ability to control a water source using your smartphone. Smart valves work hand in hand with smart sensors to automatically turn off your water mains when a leak is detected. Some values will also shut the water off if an earthquake is detected.
Depending on the product, some additional attributes of wifi water shut off valves might include:
- Management of the system via a smartphone or tablet app
- The ability to receive alert notifications on your smartphone when a leak is detected
- Integration with voice assistants like Amazon Alexa or Google Home
- Smart app that monitors the amount of your family’s water usage
What Are Some Key Features of Wireless Water shut off Valves?
Whole-home vs Spot Applications
While the top four products on my list provide options for full house coverage, others listed here are better for spot applications and specific rooms and pipes. For example, the MyGuard product listed above was actually designed for protecting laundry rooms (i.e., your washing machine).
Also, and this is very important and may not be obvious, you need to buy a valve that supports the size of your pipes and also ball valves. For example, Dome Home supports 1/4-turn ball valves up to 1-1/2.” Other products support broader piping and ball valve configurations.
Valve Only Vs Kits With Sensors
As you probably noted above this is super important when choosing a leak detection system for your home. In essence, the sensor detects the leak, and the valve turns off the water. Senors alone are worthless by themselves, although a standalone valve can be of use in some applications.
My only suggestion here is to review the product literature carefully before you buy it. Any of my kit recommendations here will get you either part of the way there or fully there. You may decide after you place the initial sensors that you want to buy more. That is the beauty of these things, you can add sensors on as needed over time.
Another key feature to look for when choosing a wireless water shut off valve is the range at which the sensors can detect leaks. This is typically measured in distance from the sensor to the hub but other configurations apply, depending on the product. Again, just be sure to read the product literature carefully before you buy one.
For example, if you have a larger home and plan to position the hub on a second floor to detect issues in a basement, you could run into problems, depending on the product detection range.
The response time is the amount of time it takes you to be notified when that first drop of water hits a sensor. Look for smart wireless water shut off valves that communicate this out in a few seconds at most.
In the case of the recent flood in my home, it took only a few hours for a massive amount of damage to occur.
Of course, if you have a valve that will automatically kill the main to your home when a leak is detected, even better. Still, I want to know right away if the water goes off do to any sort of a problem.
I already talked a lot about the wireless features in the product reviews and what makes a wireless water shut off valve smart section above, but let me summarize key wireless features here as well.
Here are the top five:
- Smart hub integration
- Smartphone notifications
- Automated water shut off
- Digital Assistant Integration (Alexa, Google, HomePod) or IFTTT Integration
- Mobile App Dashboard – On/Off Control, Reporting, etc.
Smart Hub Requirements
Here’s another important consideration. Some of the products listed here require that you have some sort of a smart home hub in order for them to work. Therefore, if you subscribe to a certain smart home ecosystem, you might want to purchase a wireless water shut off valve to match that Ecosystem.
Popular hubs that support wireless water shut off valves include Samsung SmartThings, Wink, Nexia, Control4, Universal Devices, and Honeywell. Just make sure that the valve you buy is compatible with the hub you own. In some cases, a hub may not be required.
Automated Leak Testing and Diagnostics
Obviously, the whole point of wireless water shut off valves is to automate the process of checking for leaks and then taking actions to address them.
Another common feature is the ability for the system to run daily diagnostic checks to make sure there are no leaks but also that everything is in working order.
The results of these checks are typically reported either via an app on your smartphone or in some cases via the manufacturer’s website.
Turn-Key Service Upgrades
Some companies, such as Moen (see Moen Flo above), add a monitoring and other value-added services to the mix to provide “all in one security for your home water.”
These services typically come with a monthly fee in addition to the cost of the product. While they may be overkill for many homeowners, they can certainly help bring added peace of mind for those who can afford them. As an example, Moen’s FloProtect service provides:
- Water Damage Deductible Guarantee
- Proactive Monitoring + Water Concierge
- Enhanced Water Usage Data
- Extended Product Warranty
- Insurance Verification Letter
Are Wireless Water Shut Off Valves Worth the Money?
When you weigh the potential costs of water damage, the answer is a very simple one. Yes!
Also, depending on your insurance provider, you may be able to save money on your policy after installing one of these kits. Many insurance providers offer discounts to homeowners who employ these devices. We recommend that you contact your insurance provider for additional information.
Generally speaking, by preventing any significant water damage to your home this would pay for itself by detecting a single leak or burst pipe. You also get the added peace of mind too.
Wireless Water Shut Off Valves – What Do You Think?
I hope you enjoyed my review of the best wireless water shut off valves and sensors that you can buy today. I did a ton of research on these valves; hopefully, you were able to get some value from it.
As you can see, a lot goes into choosing the right wifi water shut off valve for your home but once you pick the best one for your needs, you won’t have to worry about flooding or water damage.
All of the products in this review are available for purchase on Amazon.com; just click on any photo to jump over to Amazon for the latest pricing.
What do you think of these smart water valves? Did you find my review helpful? I hope that you will please leave me a comment below and let me know.
Also, if you liked our review, would you mind sharing it using the colorful social media buttons at the top and bottom of this page? Thanks for your support!.
InfoGraphic: Water Damage By the Numbers: Yikes!
On another note, we’ll leave you with this shocking video of the top five water main explosions ever!
We hope you stay dry and your mains always fare better than these pipes!
If you enjoyed reading our comparison of the 13 best wireless water shut off valves, you might also like some of our other articles:
- leakSMART vs Dome Home: The 2 Best Wifi Water Valves
- Husqvarna vs Robomow vs Worx: Clash of the Robot Lawn Mowers!
- 7 Top Smart Landscape Lighting Transformers, Switches, and Controls
- 5 Best Smart Portable Air Conditioners [with Comparison Chart]
- The Best Indoor / Outdoor Home Security Cameras & Systems
About the Author
Tim Brennan, Technical Writer & Blogger
Tim Brennan [a.k.a. "Tec Timmy"] is a senior technical writer with over 20 years of experience writing for companies and organizations in and around Greater Boston, including GE and MIT. In addition to actively writing for this smart home blog, Tim is also a regular contributor over at UniversalRemoteReviews.com. Tim holds a BA in Journalism from Northeastern University. Brennan is a father to two sons, an active blogger, a Star Wars nut, and loves a good taco🌮. There is a strong chance he is developing a crush on Amazon Alexa. You can learn more about Tim here.