In this article, I review 13 of the very best wireless water shut off valves and sensors that you can buy today. We’ll also give our top three recommendations and compare these smart valves side by side. Our goal is to help you make a better-informed purchase decision.
oneSmartcrib.com is supported by our readers. If you purchase a product after clicking a link in our post, we may earn a commission. For more information, see our affiliate disclaimer in the sidebar (or below on mobile).
Wifi Water Shut Off Valves Can Save You ThousandsDid you know that more American’s suffer water damage than fire and theft combined?
Dealing with a burst or leaky pipes in your home can be frustrating, and it’s always surprising how quickly water damage can occur. Because of this, it’s a good idea to install one or more wifi water shut off valves to ensure that your water shuts off automatically in an emergency.
I recently learned this first hand, when my apartment was flooded. You can read about my sad misfortune if you are interested in this post: leakSMART vs Dome Home: 2 Best Wifi Water Shutoff Valves. If only my sister had purchased one of these wireless shut off valves prior to this happening! [She has a leakSMART valve now.]
Which Wireless Water Shut Off Valve Is Best?
The best wireless water shut off valve to protect your home from leaks is the leakSMART Water Leak Detection Kit. It connects easily to your phone via the leakSMART app, it includes the valve, plus a leak sensor, and smart hub, plus it is easy to install, which means that you won’t have to pay a plumber.
Recommended Wireless Water Shut Off Valves
Here are our top three recommendations for best wireless water shut off valves side by side. All three have excellent recommendations on Amazon and they are recommended by other experts as well.
What Can WiFi Water Shut Off Valves Do?
Smart automatic water shut off valves or wifi water shut off valves let a homeowner turn the main water off remotely via smartphone. They can also be used to automatically turn off the water source when paired with a smart water sensor.
They are designed to automatically turn water when a leak is detected to prevent additional water damage to your home. Many will work as a retrofit solution for copper, PVC, or Pex water pipes. Some are designed for indoor use and others for outdoor use. Some are designed for spot applications and others are designed for whole-house monitoring. (All of our top recommendations will cover your whole house.) The prices range from relatively inexpensive $$$ to very expensive $$$$$ depending on your needs.)
How Do I Install Wireless Water Shutoff Valves?
Nearly all of the wireless water shut off valves we cover in this review are DIY solutions; that is, you should be able to install them on your own.
However, some basic plumbing knowledge is helpful. And if you aren’t handy at all [like me], I would recommend enlisting the help of a friend who is handy and/ or anyone with experience with some plumbing basics.
In many cases, detailed step-by-step installation guides are provided, and there are also many installation videos available on YouTube. We will include a few of them below.
For whole-house coverage, the general procedure is:
- Install the smart wifi water value controller onto your water main.
- Please leak sensors (also called leak detectors) around your home to monitor for floods, earthquakes, and freezing pipes.
- Test thoroughly to ensure that the water main shuts off fully and properly in the event of an emergency.
Note that the number of sensors you need to install should equal the number of trouble spots you anticipate in your home. For example, you might a sensor some under a sink, on, under or around basement pipes, etc. The more sensors you deploy the better your coverage overall. Some of the products reviewed here include the sensors, but you may need to buy more.
What Makes A Wifi Water Shut Off Valve Smart?
As I said earlier, the brains behind the operations of smart valves and sensors are that they give you the ability to control a water source using your smartphone. Smart valves work hand in hand with smart sensors to automatically turn off your water mains when a leak is detected. Some values will also shut the water off if an earthquake is detected.
Depending on the product, some additional attributes of wifi water shut off valves might include:
- Management of the system via a smartphone or tablet app
- The ability to receive alert notifications on your smartphone when a leak is detected
- Integration with voice assistants like Amazon Alexa or Google Home
- Smart app that monitors the amount of your family’s water usage
Are Wireless Water Shut Off Valves Worth the Money?
When you weigh the potential costs of water damage, the answer is a very simple one. Yes!
Also, depending on your insurance provider, you may be able to save money on your policy after installing one of these kits. Many insurance providers offer discounts to homeowners who employ these devices. We recommend that you contact your insurance provider for additional information.
Generally speaking, by preventing any significant water damage to your home this would pay for itself by detecting a single leak or burst pipe. You also get the added peace of mind too.
13 Great Wireless Water Shutoff Valves
No. 1 – Water Leak Detection Starter Kit by leakSMART
The powerful Water Leak Detection Starter Kit by leakSMART is a smart wifi water valve that allows homeowners to easily monitor their homes. Because it can handle up to 32 sensors, you can easily monitor all areas in your home and protect your house from water damage no matter how many valves you want to monitor. Additionally, the sensor will sound an alarm, alert the app, and shut off the valve at the first sign of a leak to prevent any damage.
In this video, Gary Tweed shows you how you can use the LeakSmart system with a Wink hub and app.
Thanks to Gary for the helpful video and demonstration.
- Offers consistent 24/7 monitoring of water valves
- Connects easily via WiFi
- Offers a great all-in-one approach
- Ships with just one leak sensor, but you can buy additional sensors on Amazon
💦You can read the reviews and find out more over here at Amazon.💦
No. 2 – Dome Home Automation Water Shut-Off Valve
Give your dome some peace of mind with the Dome Home Automation Water Shut-Off Valve. This add-on can be easily attached to your existing valve and makes it easy to manually close the valve or have it be triggered to shut automatically. It is less expensive than other options because it is an add-on but is a great water valve WiFi option for any home.
Thanks to Chris Edwards for the helpful unboxing and installation review of the Dome Home.
Check out the video above and if you want to learn more, you can 💦see the latest pricing and reviews over at Amazon💦.
- Great customer support
- Auto shut off and remote monitoring
- Easy installation
- Can be difficult to pair with the hub
- Doesn’t always fully close the water valve completely on the first try
No. 3 – Guardian Leak Prevention System
While calibrating this valve can be a bit difficult, it is a great WiFi water valve once you have set it up correctly. It offers great value for the money, is easy to install, and is incredibly sensitive. Additionally, if you do have any problems, the friendly customer service professionals can offer you the support that you need.
💦You can see it on Amazon and read the latest customer reviews right here💦.
- Offers multiple leak detectors
- Features a 15-year battery for longevity
- Works with copper, PEX, or PVC pipes from 1/2″ to 1
- Auto shuts off the water main if it senses leaks, freezing temperatures, or earthquakes
- Installs easily without any tools
- It can be difficult to connect or configure the app.
- Leak detection is very sensitive so it shouldn’t be installed in locations with any excess water.
No. 4 – StreamLabs Smart Home Water Monitor
Not only does this unit monitor how much water you use in your home but it also does a great job detecting burst pipes and small leaks. You will have to buy a valve to use with this product as it is only a sensor but it is one of the most sensible options on the market today.
Thanks to Perfectly Inspired for the entertaining unboxing and review video:
💦If you want to learn more about this monitor, check it out on Amazon over here.💦
- Installation is very easy and it comes with an app to walk you through the setup.
- The high-quality product is designed to last for years without being damaged.
- Detects leaks and water usage
- No pipe cutting, 5-minute installation
- Real-time alerts
- The price is great.
- It requires a connection to the Internet in order to work properly.
- It doesn’t feature an auto shutoff.
- Because the printed logs only go back a month, it can be difficult to track usage and problems.
No. 5 – MyGuard Automatic Laundry Water Leak Detector
Homeowners who are worried about leaks from their laundry rooms will appreciate the peace of mind that they can enjoy from this water detector. Not only will it automatically shut off when there is a leak but because it is not a whole-house unit, this is a really cost-effective option. It can be installed quickly and won’t prevent users from being able to operate their washing machines.
💦You can read about what customers think about this detector in the product reviews, over on Amazon here.💦
- It features manual water shutoff.
- It is a very cost-effective option for use in a laundry room.
- Designed specifically to detect washing machine leaks.
- Shut-off system for washing machine outlets
- Water leak detection
- Sometimes will trigger a false alarm
- Tends to stick out from the wall
- Only covers the washing machine
No. 6 – Wally Wireless Automatic Water Shutoff Valve
This is a great wireless option that features remote control via a powerful app and easily can be used indoors and outdoors. Because it covers the whole house, users don’t have to worry about leaks at any location in their homes as they will be quickly alerted when there is a problem.
- Intuitive app makes this a great and powerful WiFi water valve.
- It is very easy to monitor usage and to control the valve.
- It can be set to control multiple leak detectors in the house.
- Installation is difficult and may require a professional.
- It tends to be much more expensive than other options.
- It can’t be integrated to a home’s smart hub.
No. 7 – Leak Intel Z-Wave Water Control Valve
This is one of the best wireless water valve options on the market today. It does have a few drawbacks but it responds quickly to even minute amounts of water leakage, which means that you can stop a problem quickly. Additionally, you can monitor and even turn off your water manually if desired. The auto shutoff is surprisingly fast but installation can be much harder than with other options.
- Made from stainless steel for improved longevity
- Pairs quickly with smart hubs
- Offers great remote control
- 10-Year Manufacturer Warranty
- Installation tends to be tricky.
- It can be harder to seal the threads on this unit.
No. 8 – FortrezZ Wireless Z-Wave Water Valve
If you have a little extra to spend, then this is a good option. While the moisture detection feature is a great option, the fact that it doesn’t show up on the app is a problem. This means that users have to be willing to check the unit from time to time to see if there are any excess moisture issues as they won’t have that information available to them on their phones.
- The remote control is high-quality.
- Installation is fast.
- It tends to be expensive.
- The moisture detection feature doesn’t always work reliably.
No. 9 – Grohe Sense Guard Smart Water Controller
This is a great water valve WiFi option that is loaded with great features. The smartphone app is intuitive and easy to use, which makes it possible to quickly monitor your water. Thanks to the alert system, users are immediately notified when there is a problem with their water. It is just as responsive to a small leak as to a burst pipe.
- The highly responsive system alerts for even small leaks.
- It is able to detect unusual water flow and frost damage.
- It quickly responds to bursts and to leaks.
- Pipe fittings can be difficult to tighten.
- It doesn’t have a battery backup.
No. 10 – WaterCop Z-Wave Wireless Water Shut-Off Valve
Despite a powerful app is easy to navigate, it can be difficult to tell the real status of this valve. Confusing app notifications can lead to homeowners becoming frustrated. For example, when the app says that the switch is on, it actually means that the valve is off. This can lead to issues with the valve not being used correctly. However, once this is understood, the valve is surprisingly easy to use and powerful.
- Quickly integrates to the wireless smart hub
- Setup is fast and easy
- Offers a powerful, user-friendly app
- Can fail when users try to open and close the valve too quickly.
No. 11 – LinkTap Wireless Water Timer & Gateway
While this is a slightly different take on some of the other products in our review, we thought we would include for anyone who might be looking for a control valve that can be used outside.
This is a great timer and gateway that you can use to automate the watering of your plants and vegetables in your garden.
This is a great option for any homeowner who wants to be able to not only monitor his or her outdoor faucet for leaks but also make sure that his or her plants get the water that they need. It makes it easy to choose from six work modes so that you can control the water schedule and amount of water used. Additionally, the ECO functions ensure that you save water.
- Makes it easy to control the water at an outside spigot.
- Connects to an app to set up a watering schedule.
- Will automatically skip watering when it rains
- Can control up to eight water times with just one hub.
- Up to two years of battery life.
- Its primary benefit is that it lets you set a watering schedule; it is not great for monitoring for leaks.
No. 12 – Orbit B-hyve Smart Hose Faucet Timer
This powerful faucet timer is WiFi capable, which means that you can easily control when your plants are watered even if you aren’t at home. The hub connects to multiple timers, which makes it easy to manage a larger space without problems. However, this is not a great option for keeping an eye on leaks at your home as it won’t automatically turn off the faucet if there is a problem.
- The powerful app works on both iOS and Android devices.
- It is great for setting the timer to water your garden.
- It is compatible with Alexa.
- It can sometimes skip scheduled waterings.
- The app setup can be a bit difficult.
No. 13 – leakSmart Wireless Water Shut Off Valve
Last on our list of w-fi water shut off valves is the leakSmart 888000. Thanks to the battery backup on this unit, users don’t have to worry about leaks during power outages. It will automatically shut off the valve if there is a leak, which is important to reduce damage and to prevent water from being allowed to run freely. The LED lights make it easy to check the status of the valve.
- It detects leaks in less than five minutes.
- It easily connects with smart home platforms.
- Quick notifications ensure that homeowners are aware of leaks right away.
- Installation is difficult and professional installation is preferable.
- It doesn’t come with the necessary hub for the unit to work.
Wireless Water Shut Off Valves – What Do You Think?
I hope you enjoyed my review of the best wireless water shutoff valves and sensors that you can buy today. I did a ton of research on these valves; hopefully, you were able to get some value from it.
As you can see, a lot goes into choosing the right wifi water shut off valve for your home but once you pick the best one for your needs, you won’t have to worry about flooding or water damage.
All of the products in this review are available for purchase on Amazon.com; just click on any photo to jump over to Amazon for the latest pricing.
What do you think of these smart water valves? Did you find my review helpful? I hope that you will please leave me a comment below and let me know.
Also, if you liked our review, would you mind sharing it using the colorful social media buttons at the top and bottom of this page? Thanks for your support!.
InfoGraphic: Water Damage By the Numbers: Yikes!
On another note, we’ll leave you with this shocking video of the top five water main explosions ever!
We hope you stay dry and your mains always fare better than these pipes!
If you enjoyed reading our comparison of the 13 best wireless water shut off valves, you might also like some of our other articles:
- leakSMART vs Dome Home: The 2 Best Wifi Water Valves
- Husqvarna vs Robomow vs Worx: Clash of the Robot Lawn Mowers!
- 7 Top Smart Landscape Lighting Transformers, Switches, and Controls
- 5 Best Smart Portable Air Conditioners [with Comparison Chart]
- The Best Indoor / Outdoor Home Security Cameras & Systems
About the Author
Tim Brennan, Smart Home Blogger
Tim Brennan is a senior technical writer and serial entrepreneur, currently spending his nights and weekends blogging about all things technology. His primary areas of interest include smart homes, smart speakers, and universal remote controls like Logitech Harmony and Fire TV Cube. He is a father of two, gadget nerd, Star Wars nut, and loves a good taco. He might also have a crush on Alexa. Brennan is a blogger at oneSmartcrib.com and a regular contributor to UniveralRemoteReviews.com. He holds a B.A. in Journalism from Northeastern University. For more than two decades, Brennan has worked as a technical writer in the Greater Boston area for organizations that have included General Electric, Liberty Mutual, Biogen, and MIT.