As an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Learn more
In this article, I compare the Fire TV Cube 3rd Gen (2021) vs the 2nd Gen (2019) model.
- Key Differences At a Glance
- This Cube Is on Fire
- Cube 3rd Gen vs 2nd Gen: Features Comparison
- Fire TV Cube 2021 vs 2019: Similarities
- Fire TV Cube 3rd Gen vs 2nd Gen: Differences
- Video Reviews
- Deeper Dive into Key Feature Differences
- Pricing and Availability
- Fire TV Cube 3rd Gen vs 2nd Gen: A Better Mousetrap?
- Related Posts
- Fire TV Cube 3rd Gen vs 2nd Gen…Please Share?
Key Differences At a Glance
I love my Fire TV Cube and being able to control my TV with my voice using Alexa. But then I started thinking, did I get a raw deal when I bought the Fire TV Cube 3rd Gen vs 2nd Gen Cube? So I did some research — and another blog post was born.
So what are the main differences between the Fire TV 3rd vs 2nd Gen Cube?
Unlike the 2nd Gen Fire TV Cube, the Gen 3 model features a faster Amlogic S922z Quad-Core processor, a faster GPU, and support for the latest 4K-HD standards (HDR Dolby Vision, HDR10+, and HLG). The 3rd Gen Fire TV Cube also processes key Alexa TV commands locally instead of in the Cloud, making most voice command responses faster.
With these significant product updates, the 3rd-Gen Cube is a worthy upgrade in my opinion, even if you own the 2nd-Gen Cube. And it costs just a few bucks more.
In the rest of this post, I’ll explain how these hardware enhancements relate to a better overall user experience.
This Cube Is on FireIf you aren’t familiar with Amazon Fire TV Cube, it is essentially a marriage between Amazon’s Fire TV streaming media platform and Amazon Echo/ Alexa.
The biggest benefit of the Amazon Fire TV Cube is that you can use it to control your TV hands-free (i.e., no remote control required). Instead, you issue commands like “Turn on the TV” and “Tune to Netflix” to Alexa instead. You also get a ton of content available through Prime and other services. And you can also use the Cube like you would any other Echo device to get news, weather, sports, play music, and more.
There are some notable exceptions, such as limitations with multi-room music, Alexa calling, and drop-in features.
However, it does make an excellent voice control substitute for your universal remote, and you can use it to control a wide range of smart home devices too.
In this post, I’ll lay out the details of what’s changed from Fire TV Cube 3rd Gen vs 2nd Gen. I’ll start with a basic comparison chart, and then outline what’s new along with what Amazon carried over from the 2nd Gen model.
📚 Related: Easy Fixes for Fire TV Black Screen Issues
Cube 3rd Gen vs 2nd Gen: Features Comparison
Here is a quick comparison table highlighting the major differences of Fire TV Cube 3rd Gen vs 2nd Gen. I’ll include a more detailed technical specifications chart below, as well as a dynamic price comparison table so you can compare Amazon’s latest pricing of both cubes side by side.
Last update on 18/06/2022 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Feel free to use this information as you see fit. If you wouldn’t mind including a link back to this post if you do, I would be much obliged as it helps out with search engine rankings.
Fire TV Cube 2021 vs 2019: Similarities
In comparing Fire TV Cube 3rd Gen vs 2nd Gen, here is a summary of common features:
- The design and dimensions of the Cube are the same, with the size and weight of both devices being identical (see the chart for specs)
- Both devices include the Alexa voice remote in the box; the remote works using a Bluetooth signal from the remote to the device.
- They both share the same video resolution support of 720p/1080p/2160p (up to 60fps), and they both support HDR 10+.
- The audio experience is pretty much the same which is controlled by Dolby Atmos, 7.1 surround sound, 2-channel stereo, and HDMI audio pass-through up to 5.1
- Memory and storage are the same at 2 GB and 16 GB respectively
- Both Fire TV Cube Gen 3 and Gen 2 have eight microphones that support “far-field” technology [meaning that Alexa can hear you over your surround system, background noise and even your obnoxious friend at the football gathering]
- They both contain a single standard speaker.
- Both Fire TV Cube 3rd Gen and 2nd Gen leverage the Android operating system.
- The port configuration also has not changed with an HDMI 2.0a, Power, Micro USB, Wired Infrared support
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth support remain the same.
📚 Related: Amazon Fire TV Stick vs Cube vs Recast
Fire TV Cube 3rd Gen vs 2nd Gen: Differences
Here is a list of what changed between the 3rd Gen Fire TV Cube vs 2nd Gen:
- Perhaps the biggest change in hardware is the processor. The 3rd Generation makes the jump to a blazing fast Hexa-core Amlogic S922z processor (Quad-core at up to 2.2GHz + Dual-core at up to 1.9GHz).
- This is nearly twice as fast as the 2nd Gen’s quad-core at 1.5GHZ.
- The onboard graphics processing unit (GPU) also receives a nice upgrade going from Mali450 MP3 to ARM Mali G52-MP6, 800MHz.
- Fire TV Cube 3 also ups the ante in the High Dynamic Range (HDR) support. In addition to adding support for HDR 10, Fire TV Cube 3rd Gen support for HDR Dolby Vision, HDR10+, and HLG. This means that shows and services that leverage these technologies will stream more seamlessly and look better
- The hardware upgrades above will make the voice control viewing experience better from the perspective of picture quality as well as the performance of the device.
In the following video review, Craig from Craig’s Tech Talk hammers home some of the points outlined above.
Note: I agree with Craig on all but his suggestion that it may not be worth the upgrade for existing owners of the Cube. After testing both Cubes on my own, the new performance features alone make this a worthy upgrade IMHO.
Erin Lawrence (my secret YouTube crush ❤️) also does a great job in her review of the 2nd Generation Cube (2019 model).
Deeper Dive into Key Feature Differences
Bluetooth and Wifi
Neither Bluetooth nor Wi-Fi specifications has changed for the Fire TV Cube 3rd Gen vs 2nd Gen Cube. Here are the specs:
- Bluetooth 4.2 + LE
- Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
Both Gen 3 and Gen 2 leverage the Android Operating System.
Fire TV Cube 3rd Gen vs 2nd Gen: Dimensions and Weight
Interestingly [and unlike many other Echo devices] which receive yearly design updates, Amazon kept the design of the Fire TV Cube the same. The dimensions and weight of both devices are identical. As many customers love the Cube’s cool 3-D design (like me!), it’s no surprise Amazon didn’t change it up. (Hey, If it ain’t broke….don’t fix it!)
The Cube’s dimensions are 3.4” x 3.4” x 3.0”.
And it weighs 16.4 oz.
Amazon offers a 1-year Limited Warranty for both devices, so these are the same when considering Fire TV Cube 3rd Gen vs 2nd Gen. Check the Amazon product page for details. (I’ll include a couple of links below)
Pricing and Availability
An obvious consideration when comparing Fire TV Cube 3rd Gen vs 2nd Gen… is the price!
Here is a simple price comparison table that compares the cost of both Cubes side by side*. The data in the table is pulled in nightly via direct integration with Amazon’s API. Click the button in the table for the up-to-the-minute price.
|Top Top||Fire TV Cube, Hands-free streaming device with Alexa, 4K Ultra HD, includes latest Alexa Voice Remote||Prime||See It At Amazon|
|Top||Certified Refurbished Fire TV Cube, hands-free with Alexa built in, 4K Ultra HD, streaming media player, released 2019||Prime||See It At Amazon|
|Top||Dot Genie Easy Hanging Fire TV Cube Wall Mount (Fits 1st Gen and New 2nd Gen Fire TV Cube) | Updated for More Support | Totally Hides Cords | Improves Visibility | Quick Install||Prime||See It At Amazon|
|Top||WALI Fire TV Cube Wall Mount for Streaming Devices, Easy Install and No Obstruction Voice Recognition (CBTV), Black||Prime||See It At Amazon|
*Editor’s Note: Amazon is no longer actively promoting the 2nd-gen Cube but they will still support it. You can still pick one up here while supplies last.
Fire TV Cube 3rd Gen vs 2nd Gen: A Better Mousetrap?
My take: Amazon really upped the ante on the Cube when they announced the 3rd Generation Fire TV cube that contains some heavy-hitting hardware upgrades, support for the latest streaming technologies, and more.
So what do you think about Amazon Fire TV Cube 3rd Gen vs 2nd Gen?
Do you like the idea of being able to control your TV with Alexa? Perhaps you already own a 2nd Gen Cube and are thinking about upgrading like me?
If so, how do you like the 2nd Gen Cube? If not, and you are considering buying one of these Alexa devices, do it! I don’t care if you use my affiliate links, but I am 100% sure you will love being able to control your TV hands-free with Alexa.
I write about smart devices all day, and this is one of my favorites for sure. It’s just liberating for someone who constantly “loses” the remote.
Anyhow, I sincerely hope you found this article helpful. Please leave a comment below and let me know.
If you liked this post comparing Fire TV Cube 3rd Gen vs 2nd Gen, you might also like some of these articles:
- Amazon Nebula vs Sonos Beam: Which Sets the Bar Higher?
- How To Connect Alexa to Your Samsung Smart TV
- Echo Studio vs Echo Plus: Which Speaker Is Better?
- Logitech Harmony Elite vs Ultimate Home
If you got some value from this article comparing Amazon Fire TV Cube 3rd Gen vs 2nd Gen, would you mind giving us a quick share on social media?
It just takes a minute, and you can use any of the colorful social media buttons along the top and near the bottom of this page.
Thanks! This really helps to spread the word about our blog and gives us a little boost in Google rankings.